Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The year long relationship - Part 3 of 3

Important: this is part 3 of a trilogy, it is highly recommended that you start with Part 1

More than half a year had passed, it was mid March and we were now practically living together. Luckily my landlord never saw her. Anyway, I was planning to make a trip to Bangalore to meet up with IIT junta, and asked her to join me.
            Me: Hey Lon, my friends are having a get together in B’lore. Do you want to join me?
            Lon: No. I think you’ll have more fun with your friends without me.
That’s another thing that irked me a lot. It’s as if she not only had no place for friends (neither hers nor mine) in her life, but also in some way she was allergic to them. Let alone meeting some friends, even if I received a call from a friend, she would just disappear suddenly. I tried to poke her on that a couple of times, and all I could get was a cold reply – “You’ll be having fun with them, what do you need me there for?”. If not allergy then maybe  jealousy of some sort. Anyhow, it was a battle front and I was loosing badly. Social life was coming to a screeching halt. Sometimes these sorts of things make you consider the pros and cons of an entire relationship. I knew I was in a corny corner, I guess it was an addiction and if so, I needed a rehab.
Fate, it seems had a plan for me - I had to travel for work to US for a couple of weeks soon. It’s not that I was dying to get away from Lon, or that I have a craze for US; but I like travelling. Even if you hate travelling, you have to admit that it’s fun to be at a new place, see new people, and learn new culture. For me it was all the more exciting because it was my first time outside the country.
If I remember correctly, I got my visa on a Wednesday evening, and it was decided on the next evening that I should travel on the same Saturday, so that I get some time to settle in before joining the US office. With just two days to pack up, practically one day as I still had office on Friday, I had to hurry. I started to pack on Friday evening and I was doing it frantically and that annoyed Lon –
            Lon: Oh, somebody’s excited.
            Me: Well yea, but more tense than excited. I still haven’t yet got confirmation of the hotel reservation, and I leave tomorrow. Moreover I am travelling alone.
It is not a big deal – travelling alone. I am used to it, I do that often from Chennai to Bangalore or Delhi. But going to a new country, alone, seems to be a big deal for everyone.
            Lon: Alone? So you won’t have any company for next two weeks?
            Me: Yes and No. I will be staying alone, but I have a couple of college friends who stay in the Bay Area. I hope to catch up with them in the weekends. It’s been a long time.
            Lon: Ah! Super. I suppose you wouldn’t miss me then.
And hence started the whole ugly argument again, and ended up in a communication breakdown - that too right before I had to leave. It’s the last thing you need on your mind when you are packing. I decided I’d let her break the silence this time.
As soon as I landed at SFO and got the immigration stuff done. I called up Ankit, who said he would come pick me up and show around SF. It was awfully nice of him and Aditi, his gf, to do so. We also called up Vibhu who had just come back from his convo @ MIT the same morning, and despite his long journey, he got up and travelled another 45 miles by public transport to meet us! We roamed around in SF for a while, had brunch, and then went to the famous Golden gate bridge. It was the smoothest possible transition for me to a new place - in familiar company. The very next day Harsh landed in Bay Area for his internship, and there was another addition to the gang. We guys spent almost every weekend together – Movie/ Pub/ Club/ Hookah/ Beer back at Hotel/ Football World Cup matches/ Sailing/ Beach trip/ Road trip. It was very much a jam packed trip.
Work was keeping me busy in the weekdays and I was keeping the gang busy on weekends. As the work demanded, I extended the trip by another 3 weeks, and I didn’t even have to think twice about it. Why would I? I was having a good time, great accommodation, pick up and drop for office, non-vegetarian food every day and a gala time with old friends. I guess Lon was right, I wasn’t missing her at all, I was successfully rehabilitated. Meanwhile, a couple of my school juniors - Ronak and Mayank, who were graduating this year, and placed in Chennai, asked me if I wanted to share an apartment with them, after getting back. I agreed almost instantly and later on I realized it was probably the best decision I had made. I hadn’t officially broken up with Lon yet, in case we were to patch things up, this was the easiest way out to improve on our social life. She just could not not-meet flat mates. I just got excited, I had the perfect solution. I had already given her my new number over e-mail, but hadn’t yet heard from her. But what the hell, I had the perfect solution, so I called her up. A relapse.
            Me: Hey Lon, What’s up??
            Lon: Hey Sarb! Nothing much, just back to the old business of haunting lonely single men. How are you?
She killed me each time with this one. She really has some memory.
            Me: *a laugh. I’m good.
Blah-blah-blah and I updated her with the stuff going on there. 20 minutes and we were chuddy-buddy; it turned out to be easier than I thought - to patch things up. So, I decided to tell Lon about me moving with Ronak and Mayank. The reply was completely unexpected.
            Lon: So this is your way of breaking up?
            Me: What? Break up? Who said that?
            Lon: Yea, I said that. You know that I don’t like to meet your friends. I know you’d ignore me when with your friends. Now you’ll have flat mates!
            Me: What do you mean you don’t like to? You don’t want to!
            Lon: Does that make a difference?
            Me: Hell it does! You haven’t even tried to!
            *awkward 30 seconds silence
            Me: So it means that if we are together you will never go out with me to meet anyone?
            Lon: You are SLOW. It took you a year to get to that conclusion?
            *painful 30 seconds silence of introspection.
            Me: Hmm.. Yeah. Thanks a lot and GOODBYE Miss Ness.
As Oracle once said “Everything that has a beginning has an end”. This was the end of it. What did I learn from it? I don’t know, maybe not to drag it for so long 'cause people start to think that you are SLOW. Anyway, Life has taken a new turn and I am back in Chennai and have moved to Thiruvanmiyur with Ronak and Hrishi. Mayank got an offer in Bangalore and obviously chose Bangalore. This marks the end of Lon era. Good riddance Ms. Ness. May you find some painful guy to drive mad and wish I never have to meet you again. Cheers to Ronaxx and CHB and to the good times ahead!

Important Message again: Thank you for your patience to go through the extra long blog, split over three parts. Unfortunately, this is not a plain text. This is my first attempt at writing a breakable "code". Hopefully it will not be the last. I request you to try to break the "code". I’ll be glad to answer any questions after that. You can always ping me for any hints. Answer/Solution is updated in the comments section now!

22 comments:

  1. Kutte kamine !! this was the story !!

    .. although nice one .. but i will still kill you when i come to chennai and fortunately i will be coming soon :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahh!!!! bollywood needs you surdy!!!
    i loved ths story.. it kept me engaged... infact one part of my brain still believes it to be true.. bt as much i know you.... the other part does'nt wanna believe.. greattt job.. keep me posted with such interesting stuff... n yah!! go n find your Lon... dont let her go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ sid: hehehe.. aaaja aaja!
    @ Yashu: *bows. Thank you!
    @ Aditi: "go find your Lon"??? naa baba naa. Did you crack the code? Lets take this offline ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know the reaction of Ronak when you told him this story without telling the code, if you did..!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Psaffy: Bingo man! Sorry, I had to remove for the spoilers...
    and Ronak bulbed big time! Even though I had told him earlier about the idea of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :)
    I thought he would have been going mad about Lon and would have asked you her number for some n-hajaar times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I had him guessing about this gf character for a long time, and he was just going mad to figure out :P
    Also, there could be another reason for that. CHB and I feel that he is in a situation where he has "Paancho ungliyaan ghee mein, aur sir kadhiyee mein"
    Lets discuss this in detail this weekend. You're coming right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah.. am in chennai.. will meet up on saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey i got it decoded in Part2 only :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ..and its good job done,so well written..first part was so not you :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waah... kya baat hai!
    Maine bahut baar confuse kiya hai. Par iss baar nahi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whow..v.engaging story..i just kept looking forward to read the next part and then the next..
    so i think i ve broken the code..but wil take it online with you..and yeyyy..the SF gang is popular.:)
    see you soon here..m sure we will:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well written, you made sure you had probably the most procrasting reader yet read it in one go. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. read ur blog after a long time.....
    scintillating....

    the beginning i'll say.....very well written
    ankit bedi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sardy, nice work macha. Kinda got it in part II, but then, I read all three parts today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Muggu dude.. ur putting SPOILERS da!
    and the blog is fictional to a good extent :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too good Surdy.. Awesome work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Code -
    Hint 1. Name of the girl.
    Hint 2. Full Name of the girl.
    Answer - FirstName-MiddleName-LastName.

    ReplyDelete